St. Kate's Receives Gift from CSJs
In November, the University announced a gift from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ), St. Paul Province, of the Minneapolis campus property, which the Sisters owned for more than 130 years. The campus was originally St. Mary’s School of Nursing, which the CSJs founded in 1887. The school was later named St. Mary’s Junior College — and in 1986, it merged with St. Kate’s, making the University the oldest healthcare educator in Minnesota.
St. Kate’s is deeply grateful for this generous gift, which serves as the lead contribution in the University’s (currently paused) capital campaign. In 2000, the Sisters gave a $20 million gift to St. Kate’s, which was essential in the University’s ability to build Coeur de Catherine.
A celebration will be held this spring to allow the University to thank the Sisters for their vision and generosity.
Graduates of St. Mary's Hospital School of nursing on the front steps of the nurses' home, 1929.